POTOMAC, MD – February 5, 2012 Republican presidential candidate Newt Gingrich is planning to launch a new “deal of the day” site in order to boost his struggling campaign, say sources close to the initiative. The new site, called NEWTon (pronounced NEWT-awn) will attempt to make its mark as a conservative-themed version of services like Groupon, Living Social and thousands of other me-too daily coupon sites that have cropped up in the last 12 months.
“We think it is the most innovative campaign fundraising and engagement tool ever,” said Gingrich campaign spokesperson R.C. Hammond. “Like-minded right-leaning folks will come for the deals and stay for the policies and brave new initiatives that Speaker Gingrich creates each day.”
Sources with knowledge of the project say that several partnerships have already been arranged to provide an initial flow of daily deals. These include:
- 25% off of membership to the National Rifle Association.
- Free Freddie Mac underwriting of your underwater mortgage.
- Just $250,000 for a $500,000 Tiffany’s shopping spree and line of credit
- Free lifetime membership to “American Solutions for Winning the Future,” Gingrich’s 527 which closed in 2011.
- Just $4.99 for copy of “Contract with America” Photoshopped to include Snooki’s signature.
- You can shampoo Callista Gingrich for just $24.99.
- 50% off on limited edition “Newt or Schrute” poster, signed by Speaker Gingrich.
The daily-deal-as-campaign-enhancer strategy appears dubious to some marketing experts. According to Bob London, president of marketing consulting firm London, Ink, “The Gingrich campaign is clearly flailing here, however my sources tell me that the seemingly insane NEWTon idea is actually in preparation for Newt’s post-campaign life in which he plans to be a rich dotcom founder.”
Leave a Comment
No comments yet.